Riding the Uinta Mountains - Day 3

I don't usually ride dirt two days in a row and this was to be my third, it ended up being a somewhat shorter day than the others but had its share of challenges. I drove back over the mountain to the Vernal side and found a place to unload the truck off Rt 20 - this is a paved road wider and smoother than most of those in my county.

My first destination was a high point called Dyer Mountain, a fairly rough trail led up to a mine then branched into many side trails, eventually I followed the one that led to the top which turned out to have a horrendously steep and loose rise over the last 50 yards or so. I didn't even attempt it but wandered around to see the view and discovered that I wasn't the only one who didn't fancy the hill. One of the maze of trails ran across some quite rocky ground round the front of the hill to the top.

Picture Not Found
Looking west from Dyer Mountain, the track is the light area in the foreground - a bit rocky!

Picture Not Found
Looking south from Dyer Mountain (10,248ft)

Picture Not Found
East

I started down the south eastern slope but the ATV trail was narrow and rocky and I was tired so I decided not to do that after all and traced my route back a ways then followed another major trail. A little while along I noticed that there was an ATV trail running parallel to the road in the stream bed so I popped down there to make things a bit more interesting. Eventually it came to a place where I couldn't get through, didn't look like many people used this ATV trail beyond here, time for lunch.

Picture Not Found
The lunch spot (upstream)

Picture Not Found
Lunch spot (downstream)

Picture Not Found
I couldn't make out what this was, or used to be, it could have been a dam of some sort but it looked more like a primitive bridge, there was a trail coming down from the left and what might have once been one on the right but it was very steep and rough with no apparent purpose.

Picture Not Found
One of the nicer stretches of the ATV trial in the stream bed

Picture Not Found
I like to take pictures of cows, these attracted my attention because they seemed to contrast so much with the grass but it doesn't really show here.

By now I was feeling really tired and a dip in the Kamp pool sounded good, however as I reached the truck I noticed that there was a lake a little further down the road, it wasn't very interesting but I found a pleasant shortcut through the woods to get back to the truck
Picture Not Found

As it turned out it was later than I thought and when I got back to the KOA there was a mini-hurricane blowing, dust everywhere so I gave up on the pool and went out for dinner instead, Manila doesn't have a lot of choices on a Sunday evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiking Spring Creek Canyon - December 2015

Deer Creek Lake Trail

April Snow